12.01.2010

Final Photo Essay Project--Kyle "Kid Color" Woods, Resident DJ at Smartbar Chicago in Wrigleyville

Spinning at Logan Square Auditorium for photographer Kyle LaMere's event, the Visitors project on Friday, November 19:
At Home with Woods:
Attempting the Laundromat:
Getting Ready for the Night:
Dinner Out with His Roommates at J Wellington's in Wicker Park:
The Resident DJ at SmartBar Every Sunday:

Getting to know Kyle "Kid Color" Woods:
Chicago DJ, Kyle “Kid Color” Woods, a 22 year-old Southern California native, relocated from Los Angeles and joined the Chicago DJ scene in 2007. Woods worked for the DJ Trio, Dark Wave Disco, who helped to bring electro music to Chicago, opened for headliners, and landed a gig at Lollapalooza in 2009. Woods, the Assistant Music Director and Resident DJ at the club SmartBar Chicago in Wrigleyville, studied the business of music at Columbia College. Woods plans to self-release original singles in 2011.

Lauren Nicole Maddox: You come from sunny Southern California and there is a huge music scene in Los Angeles. Why the Windy City?
Kyle “Kid Color” Woods: I guess because the DJ scene was really good at the time, not to say that it is bad now, but it’s just different. When I first moved here [to Chicago,] there was a big resurgence of the independent band movement and Chicago was an open minded and good place. I personally don’t think Chicago has stayed as opened minded in terms of dance music at all. Chicagoans seem to only dance to Top 40, pop, and main stream music now when several years back people seemed to be more experimental and willing to listen and dance to something different.

LNM: Each DJ has his own personal style. How would you describe yourself behind the turntables?
Kyle “Kid Color” Woods: I combine both new disco with classic disco and give it an edge.  I play post punk like the Talking Heads and Gang of Four, and then I combine it 70s and early 80s.

LNM: Sounds like you have your own style, what makes you unique and how has Chicago reacted to your choice of music?
Kyle “Kid Color” Woods: Not a lot of people are playing the same music that I am playing. There have definitely been gigs where people get up and ask me to play dance music or better music, which didn’t make sense to me at the time. On the flip side, a lot of people do like my music. It feels good to see people dancing because you cant be sad when dancing, only happy.

LNM: So your DJ name is just Kid Color. Why don’t you use the DJ title at the beginning?
Kyle “Kid Color” Woods: Well, Steve Aoki’s old DJ name use to be Kid Millionaire, and he is from Newport Beach, [California], just like me. I was just really inspired by the similarities I felt at the time, so I used the ‘kid’ to pay homage to him and I didn’t feel the DJ part was necessary. 

LNM: After you self release your singles next year, where do you see Kid Color going in the next few years?
Kyle “Kid Color” Woods: Well, I am constantly trying to fine-tune my production work and work on remixes. I am releasing two originals this winter, but it’s definitely hard to make it as a DJ and sell your music for a living. My plan B, I would love to start my own music agency rather than being a music director of a club, I love the business side of music so a booking agency would be awesome.

LNM: Obviously you have been around town for a while now, any crazy fan experiences?
Kyle “Kid Color” Woods: Hmm…this isn’t quite a fan story, but I find it hilarious. On numerous occasions I have been called DJ Willy Joy, [who has named by URB magazine as one of the top 100 Artists to watch out for and is signed by Unknown Record Label,] on the streets and in a club setting. We look NOTHING alike; the only thing that goes for us is the glasses. I’m flattered, but I’m a short Guatemalan dude, and he’s a super tall white guy, I just don’t get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment